Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Have You Heard About The Lonesome Loser?

"Beaten by the queen of hearts everytime." - Little River Band
I'm sitting at my kitchen table drinking champagne. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series!
We all know the story, they haven't won in 108 years.
I'm thinking there was no radio or  television back in 1908.
The Cubs were known as the lovable losers as long as I've been alive.
I'm thinking back to 1984. I ride my bike as fast as I can from Douglass Jr High School to get home so I can watch the San Diego Padres play the Chicago Cubs for the NL pennant. The Cubs were sure to win.
I get home in time to see the ground ball go through Leon Durham's legs. Padres win the Series.
Fast forward to 1989.
I'm a senior in high school. I'm in 7th period yearbook class. We're watching the San Francisco Giants play the Cubs for the pennant. The Cubs were winning. Our teacher Mr. Ginsburg turns the TV off as class is about to start. 50 minutes later, the Giants won the pennant. Another heartbreaking loss.
Move on to 2003. I'm 31 years old. I'm a working stiff on night crew at a grocery store. I had to go to bed early so I could be up by 10pm so I could be at work by 11pm.
I go to bed with the Cubs beating the Marlins in the NLCS.
I wake up and the Marlins won the pennant.
Last year, the Mets swept the Cubs.
My point is the Cubs could never win the big one.
But this year was different since day one of Spring Training.
You just knew it was going to be a special year.
I went to a Spring Training game in Mesa, Arizona. It was an electric atmosphere.
I saw the Cubs in San Francisco and Oakland. It was like attending a Cubs home game.
You just knew this year was gonna be special.
Now I sit on my couch watching the World Series post game show and it's a historic celebration in Chicago.
A friend joked on Facebook that the city of Chicago is shut down until further notice.
There have been jokes that Chicago will run out of booze win the Cubs win it all.
It's not a curse or a dream no more.
The Chicago Cubs are the 2016 World Series Champions!
Party on Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment