Monday, March 14, 2016

One Quick Week

I came home from my fourth annual Spring Training trip to Arizona on Saturday.
This year was unlike any other year as it was so fast paced, as compared to the last three years.
My friend had his sister and brother in law come out for the first two days,  then his girlfriend joined us the last three days.
It was a lot of fun, but from the time we woke up, to the time we went to sleep, there wasn't a dull moment.
We needed to see two stadiums and then we would have seen all the Phoenix area stadiums.
First, we visited Sloan Park, home of the Chicago Cubs. It was in my opinion the best park in Spring Training.
I really enjoyed the layout of the park and the enthusiasm of the Chicagolander's rooting for the Cubs.
They are a passionate group, and they were grateful for the Arizona sun.
Kyle Schwarber and Kris Bryant played and put on a hitting display.
We went early in March, and if you go too early in the season, the minor leaguers play more often than they do later in the month. So about after the sixth inning, the big leaguers get taken out of the game and replaced with kids who'll be riding buses all summer long.
Don't ask me who won that game. I didn't keep score.
I didn't because everything went by so fast. The days were long, but fast.
Later that day, we went to Scottsdale Stadium to see the Reds and Giants.
The place was a sardine can. Scottsdale Stadium is one of the older parks now, and it shows. The corridors are narrow and the seating area is cramped.
It was one big party area. AT&T Park South. I think people were there to party than they were to watch the game.
I'm betting in a few years the Giants ask for a new facility. They desperately need one!
The rest of the week went fast.
We saw Oakland play the Dodgers at the newly remodeled Hohokam Park.
I sat next to Brewers team president Doug Melvin at the game. Looked like he was scouting the Dodgers. (More on that in another post).
The last day we saw the Giants and the Mariners at Scottsdale. The Arizona heat was hitting us. We were tired and it was a long trip.
After the last out I thought to myself, "Hurry up March 2017!"

No comments:

Post a Comment