Sunday, February 7, 2016

It Was Once A Simple Game

A poem written by me......
Super Bowl Sunday
It was once a fun day
The meat, the cheese, the bread
We put on quite a spread
Don't forget the drinks
We had everything but the kitchen sink
It's a day to be lazy
Everyone will go crazy about the commercial with the talking baby
Then came the game
It's not the same
Oh what a shame
Everyone loves the scoring
All will be adoring
I'm sorry, I find the whole thing boring!

I really used to love the Super Bowl. I'm a sports guy. I talk about it on TV and write about it here!
What kind of red blooded American am I if I don't enjoy the Super Bowl?
I just don't anymore.
It was once a simple football game.
The game started early in the afternoon, so early enough, that after the game, as a child, I'd throw the football in the air and say, "I'm Joe Montana!" or whoever was the star of the game.
Now it's pushed back until late afternoon. The game moves so slowly now. There are too many commercial breaks.
Then there's the two weeks of hype. I know the NFL wants to build momentum for the game, but it's just so drawn out.
The Bay Area hosted the Super Bowl festivities this year. There was a Super Bowl City along the Embarcadero area in San Francisco. When I was younger I would have went. I would have bought all Super Bowl 50 hats, t shirts, and other things with the Super Bowl 50 logo on it.
But it doesn't interest me.
I have no plans to watch the game. I'll be at work watching people get ready for a day of excess. The day is a disgusting celebration of excess. Today is a display why people in Europe think Americans are fat and lazy. Today everyone will over eat, over drink and over indulge.
Money will change hands too. All bets are on today! The betting situations are ridiculous now. Who'll make the first first down? Who'll win the coin toss?
At work, there is a bank in our store. The last few years they leave the TV on so my employees can watch. This year I'm going to tell them to turn it off.
Today and tomorrow are days of wasted productivity.
Some people think that the Super Bowl should be a national holiday because everyone watches. Some people even think the Monday after the game should be a holiday because everyone is recovering from the partying.
Again, it's a disgusting celebration of excess I want no part of.
And it's only going to get worse as the years go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment