Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Campbell Park Football

Now that the Super Bowl is finally behind us, I have my own football tale to tell.
In the falls of 1984, '85 and '86, my friends and I from Douglass Jr. High would play football at my neighborhood park, Campbell Park. 
It was the perfect place for football. It had a wide open area that was meant for football. We would play everyday after school. I mean everyday! 
There were enough of us to make two competitive teams. We weren't the best football players, but we has fun. We would try all sorts of different plays. Reverses, sweeps, flea flickers and running plays. We really loved to pass though.
I always wanted to be the quarterback. I thought I had a cannon for an arm. I could really throw the deep bomb. I could and I did......with a Nerf football. Every now and then we has a leather football.
We would be out there in the sun, the rain, the wind and the cold and just have a great time for about two hours. We knew it was time to go home when it got too dark to see. The street lights coming on was another hint it was time to go home and eat dinner.
We loved playing after a good rainy day. Once I came home muddy and my mom wouldn't let me in through the front door. She made me go around through the back yard to the kitchen door and made me take off all my clothes and come in wearing my underwear. 
She hated washing my muddy clothes, but she knew I enjoyed it and it kept me out of trouble. 
Eventually, all good things must come to an end. We eventually stopped playing once we got to high school. Some of us got jobs or got involved with after school activities. Some of the guys got girlfriends or got into cars. As for myself, I got into yearbook and newspaper staff. 
I miss those days. I'd love to throw the pigskin around one more time with my boys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment