Monday, March 23, 2015

Godspeed Nick Peters

A hero of mine died today. Nick Peters, the longtime beat writer who covered the San Francisco Giants died this morning after a long illness.
I grew up reading Mr. Peters writing while he was with the Sacramento Bee. He wrote as if he was a fan who happened to be a sportswriter. He told it like it was. If the Giants were lousy, he wrote they were lousy. If the Giants won, he was happy to tell you about it.
I can vividly remember buying the Bee every morning and reading what he wrote. I always looked forward to his weekly baseball column on Sunday.
He inspired me to be a sportswriter. As you know it didn't work out for me.
At least I had the pleasure of reading his work everyday! Thank you Mr. Peters for the inspiration you gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment