Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Baseball Talk Everywhere

It's the middle of the week here in Scottsdale. The week is going by too fast. Went to Don and Charlies last night for dinner. Executives, scouts, coaches and players young and old everyplace.
The setting is so small, you can here the next tables conversation.
I was sitting next to a group with one member who played baseball for the Boston Red Sox. He had a large World Series ring on his finger. He was talking about pitchers and catchers. He also spoke of things that happened within the clubhouse. He was talking like a baseball insider. A few people walked up and said hello. I had a hunch it was Doug Mirabelli. So I told a friend I was dining with about who I thought the person was. I went to go use the restroom. When I came back a few minutes later, he had a funny look on his face. My friend said he approached the gentleman for a picture. "Why do you want a picture of me?", said the man we thought was Mirabelli. My friend said, "Aren't you Doug Mirabelli?" The man said, "Dude, do you know how big Mirabelli is?" After some awkward small talk, my friend returned to the table embarrassed. Awkward!!
Today we had breakfast at the Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale. Once again the place was packed with baseball people. I saw some familiar looking executives. All around me there was baseball talk going on. We enjoyed our meal with no embarrassing situations!
Tonight I'm going to see the Arizona State Sun Devils play the New Mexico Lobos at Phoenix Muni. I haven't been to a college baseball game in a few years. It will be nice to see a historic baseball program tonight. I'll tell ya all about it next time, until then, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment