Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Caddying Is A Tough Job

About two weeks ago I had the pleasure of being a caddy at the Charles Schwab Cup at Harding Park in San Francisco. A friend set me up with the loop.
We were to be caddying for amatuers in the Wednesday Pro-Am.
Beforehand, I asked around for caddying advice. I was told to know the yardages of the course. Problem with that is Harding Park is a TPC course, a very busy course, and no one can just walk up and ask to take yardages of the place.
I was told to show up, keep up and shut up. I could do that!
So I showed up with a friend on Pro-Am day.
When we showed up, I was kinda overwhelmed. There were about a hundred men waiting around for a bag. They all seemed to know what they were talking about.
We were assigned a tee time. Our pro was Peter Senior. He had success on the European and Austrailian tours. My amatuer was a woman who was a executive for Chevron. Her home course was The Olympic Club. She said she plays there like I say I play Green Tree Golf Club in Vacaville......no big deal. I only wish I had access to Olympic Club.
At first it was awkward. I didn't know her game. So I just asked what she wanted after each shot.
At about the turn we started getting comfortable with each other. It got to the point of me just handing her a club and it was the right choice. Great minds think alike!
After the round she gave me a $50 tip. Plus I got $60 for the loop. Not bad at all.
I was exhausted after the round. My friend and I had dinner at Chevy's. I think I fell asleep on the way home.
Would I do it again? Maybe. I would rather play.

No comments:

Post a Comment