Monday, September 23, 2013

Basketball Diaries

I just came back from Salt Lake City for a Muse concert. The concert was played at Energy Solutions Arena, home of the Utah Jazz. So as my brother was taking in the sights ans sounds of the concert, I was taking in the sights of Jazz history.
All around the building were pictures and banners of current and former Jazz players. There was one place in the arena I wanted to get into. It was the Jazz Legends Room. Outside were pictures of Karl Malone, Jeff Hornacek, John Stockton, Mark Eaton, Adrian Dantley, coach Frank Layden aka Mr. Utah Jazz, and coach Jerry Sloan. I wanted to get into that room so bad! But it was closed for the concert.
Being there brought back memories of my first Kings games as a teenager. I can remember going to a game and standing by the Utah Jazz bus waiting for autographs. I don't remember which players I got, but I remember meeting coach Layden. He was very nice, and was telling us kids jokes and funny stories. I need to look and find his autograph.
So the day we were going home I set out to find the perfect jazz hat and t-shirt. I eventually found a hat and shirt with the old J musical note logo. Then I found a sweatshirt jacket with the current logo, which is the old logo brought back again.
So I guess I'm a Jazz fan again.
Now on to the Sacramento portion of the diary......
The Kings have been in the news the last few days.
Sacramento Bee yellow journalist RE Graswich accused Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson of hating the Kings. These feelings stemmed from when Johnson was passed up by his hometown team in the 1987 draft. The Kings selected Kenny Smith, the Phoenix selected Johnson. I'm pretty sure Johnson doesn't hate the Kings. He threw himself on the grenade to keep the Kings in town.
ESPN the magazine claims the Kings are the worst run team in North American sports. I don't agree with that. It was the Maloofs who ran the team in the ground. ESPN says the fans aren't very supportive. I will say this, some of the Kings fans are bandwagoner's, but for the most part, the Kings fans are loyal.
And finally, the greatest basketball player ever bought a minority interest in the Kings.....Shaquille O' Neal. He once called them the Queens. He was once the most hated basketball player in Sacramento. I'm sure all these years later, Sacramento will welcome him with open arms.
That's it for the diary, enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment