Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Twenty Years Of Golf

I was introduced to the game of golf twenty years ago this summer.
I always thought it was an old mans game. A rich old mans game.
I had a pretty rough start to 1993. A friend saw I was going through a hard time. He gave me his dads Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear irons from 1975.
I went to the athletic fields at my old high school to practice hitting balls. I had no idea what I was doing. I almost hit into an infield while a baseball game was going on. So to avoid hitting someone, I would go to Davis Muni to hit a bucket of balls. I sprayed balls all over the driving range. It was fun and it kept my mind off of what was bothering me.
After a couple of months of hitting balls when I was able to, another friend took me out to play a round at Land Park Golf Course in Sacramento. I just remember being so thirsty during the round. Having a cold drink was so nice afterwards.
This was twenty years ago, so the memories are fading of that day. I'm sure I was awful out there.
I had so much fun I signed up for a golf class at Sac City College.
And I have been in love with the game ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment