Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Spending Time At Nevada Bobs

I fell in love with golf twenty years ago. I always thought it was an old mans game, a rich mans game.
To make a long story short, a girl I was seeing dumped me, then I was in the dumps. A friend took me out to hit a bucket of balls to get my mind off of it. Another friend gave me a set of old Jack Nicklaus McGregor golf clubs so I could have my own set. Little did I know getting dumped would lead to a twenty year love affair.
I soon took classes at Sac City College to learn how to play the game. But it wasn't enough. I needed to be around the game more. I don't know how I got there, but I found a Nevada Bobs Golf Shop just off Florin Road in south Sacramento. I would go into look around. Hit some balls into a net. I couldn't afford to buy anything. I just went to hang out. The manager of the shop was very kind, and let me hang out as long as I pleased.
I would pop in once a week, sometimes more. I could stay there for hours and talk about the game.
I would cut class to just hang out.
Every now and then I would buy tees, a dozen balls just to earn my keep. I even tried to get a part time job there but the manager didn't need the help.
Over time I moved to the north suburbs and it was just too far to drive. After awhile I felt I worn out my welcome. I wasn't really a customer, nor was the manager someone I could call a friend.
Eventually the shop closed. Whenever I drive past the store on Highway 99,  its a flooring/tile store now, a flood of memories come back.
Now that I have money to spend, I know consider modern golf clubs junk. I would rather play with a nice vintage set of clubs, than a mass produced, mass marketed piece of junk now.
Rest in peace Nevada Bobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment