Saturday, December 8, 2012

Vintage Golf Clubs

There is someone in Napa who is buying or in my mind stealing vintage golf clubs out from under me.
This morning I had some extra time to kill, so I went to a local thrift shop.
In the golf club bin I found a vintage Maxfli-Dunlop 3 wood. In great condition. It was only a $1. Problem was, I didn't have any cash on me. I used my cash the night before to fill up my tank. I thought, "hmm, a tiny church thrift store, no one will buy this. I'll come back at lunch."
Well flash forward four hours. I'm thinking all day that three wood is going to be a great addition to my vintage set of golf clubs. I drive to the thrift store, get out of my car and walk in. I head straight to the golf club bin to grab my treasure. And to my horror, its gone! I walked around the store several times hoping to find it in a wrong place. I curse myself and walk out empty handed. I violated a rule in thrifting. If you see something you like, get it. Or else someone else will snatch it up. Just like someone out there in Napa who is also into collecting vintage golf clubs. This person(s) also walked away with very old 1930's golf clubs. The clubs didn't have the current number system on the irons. They had the names Niblick, Mashie Niblick, Spoon, etc. I didn't buy those right away because I was researching how old the clubs were. A few days later they were gone.
Just yesterday someone told me if it wasn't there when I came back to buy something at a thrift store, it wasn't meant for me. Maybe somewhere out there the PERFECT 3 wood is out there for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment