Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Don't Like This Trend......

I have been watching baseball for thirty years now. As long as I have known, baseball men, professional life long baseball men, run an organization from top to bottom.
Lately thanks to Bill James, Theo Epstien among others, people who have never played an inning of professional baseball, are running baseball teams.
This has been brought up in Moneyball, stat geeks gaining employment in front office jobs.
The Astros just hired a writer/podcaster to be their director of scouting.
I don't like it because life long baseball men who have a feel for the game are not working any more. It used to be the buddy system. "Hey buddy, can I have a job?" Now you need an Ivy League education and a friend or school connection to get your foot in the door.
I don't like it one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment