Friday, July 13, 2012

Does Anybody Read The Box Scores Anymore?

I'm watching the AAA All-Star Game and Tom Seaver was a guest in the booth during the game. He mentioned he's a voracious box score reader. I used to be a voracious box score reader.
Back in the days before the internet, one of the first things I would to start my day was read the box scores. I would read the Dodgers box score first. Then I would look at the rest of the teams and see if anyone stood out from the previous nights games. You can tell a lot about a game by looking at the box score. The late, great Gene Mauch could replay a game in his mind through the box score.
My obsession with the box score vanished with the arrival of the internet and the 24/7 news updates.
Information is everywhere now, the bottom scroll on tv, live game updates, our mobile phones, Facebook, and Twitter. Up to the second news updates surround us now. There are no surprises anymore more looking at the sports page. When was the last time you read a newspaper?
I always tell myself I'm gonna pick up a paper and pour over the box scores. But who has time for that now?

No comments:

Post a Comment