Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter reading.....

Hello everyone! Things are a little slow here. Now with spring training less than a month away,I should be writing more.
Im currently reading three books. I know its a lot to read, but the subject matters are so different.
Im reading The Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle for some comic relief. Great book about the day to day life in a major league clubhouse. Growing up, I thought players loved one another, drank milkshakes and helped little old ladies across the street. Then I read this book in high school. Players sometimes fight amongts each other, drink like fish and chase women every chance they get! Totally changed my persecption of baseball.
The other book is Men at Work by George Will. Its about the craft of baseball. How players, managers, coaches and scouts prepare for games. I read it when it first came out over twenty years ago. I felt it was a little to advanced for me back then. Its been sitting in a box. So now that Im older and wiser, I'm gonna give it another read.
On my Kindle, I just ordered The Mental Game of Baseball by Harvey Dorfman and Karl Kuehl (God rest his soul!).
Again I read it in my early twenties and it was probably too advanced for me. I was very immature and I read it because I saw it was the book assigned to Baseball Theory class at Sacramento City College. I wanted to take the class, but it was only for the players on the team. I don't think it was a classroom setting, it was just the team out on the field practicing.
Needless to say, I didnt understand the subject matter at all. I feel now I can grasp the subject matter.
I want to read Roger Angell's work again. They will be next.
Until next time, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment